Sunday, April 10, 2005

Weekend Update

After leaving work on Friday like a 10-year-old exiting the schoolhouse for summer vacation, I took the usual 2-hour nap. Was snapped out of this slumber by the phone. Damn the phone.
It was a good call, though. A very good friend invited me to make the trip to Big D and have a few cold adult beverages. I considered the pros and cons of this and decided to go. Took all of about 2 seconds. I had nothing better to do.
Duke's was the bar. It was packed like sardines, but for $5 pitchers of beer I suffered. And the suffering was well rewarded. Many lovely young ladies were at this bar. Many more friends were called and the place turned into an SFA renion site.
Eventually, the party moved to Logan's. It was also packed, but amazingly had an even better girl-to-guy ratio than Duke's. Big Shiner's were $6, but by this time I didn't care. I met a female friend of a friend who invited us over for more drinks and a movie. I headed for the apartment with said girl as my passenger. She lives about 3 blocks from Logan's, but still managed to get us lost on the way. A trip that should have taken about 2 minutes took 20. In her defense I must admit, she was pretty drunk. So was I.
The movie was Mean Girls and the drinks were Miller Lite and box wine. Surprisingly, I liked Mean Girls. It was funny. But again, I was pretty drunk.
I passed out around 4 a.m. and awoke at 11 a.m., with a terrible crick in my neck. The girl had to be at work at 1. So I proceed to GTFO (Get the fuck out). I get to my car and realize the remote door lock isn't working. Uh-oh. Not a good sign.
Left the damn lights on last night. Shit. Car no start.
After getting a jump, the damn thing still won't start. Bad. Very bad.
Made a trip to Wallyworld to replace the battery. Still no start.
It was noon-thirty and the situation was bleak at best. I'm a chronic broke-ass, so getting a tow and paying some cutthroat mechanic swindler was out of the question.
As a desperate last attempt to salvage my pride, I looked at the fuses.
The third one I pulled was busted. There is a God and he has given me hope.
I replaced the fuse and the Saturn started right up. Thank you, Jesus.
I'm sad to say the car radio did not live through the ordeal. I've been rollin' around with an MP3 player as my only means of entertainment. Sucks balls.
Spent the rest of Saturday cooking BBQ and drinking beers with Candace and Jose. Passed out on the couch about 11 while watching SNL.
Sunday has been absolutely uneventful. And I am very thankful for that.

No comments: