Sunday, April 03, 2005

It's a New Record

Officially 4 hours and 3 minutes from the Exxon in Kountze to my door in Bedford. Would've been 4 hours flat, but I came across a county mountie in Midlothian and had to slam the brakes. My poor dog. Refuses to wear his seatbelt, so he bumped his head on the glovebox. He'll live. Gotta give a shout-out to my radar detector again. That could've been a hefty fine (80 in a 55). Best 40 bucks I ever spent.

Caught my little brother's tee ball game Friday afternoon. If you're feeling depressed, unhappy, and need a laugh, go to your local little league park. Watching a gang of anklebiters playing a game they love but do not comprehend will definitely put things in perspective. It reminded me of the way a group of ducks will chase a piece of bread in the park.

Amazingly, a crawfish boil materialized this weekend. I was happy to attend and assist in the purging (salt makes crawfish puke) and cooking of said decapods. Only about 100 pounds and a dozen close friends were there. A very funny conversation was had and I'll give you my account of it.
Somehow the topic got onto interesting names. Particularly those that the African-American population of our small town like to give their children. My mother has been teaching these kids for 12 years and here were her favorites:
Tequila (a girl)
Lashaquanteira (a 5 year old girl had to learn to write this so she could graduate to the 1st grade)
Orangejello and Yellojello (twins - I shit you not. Pronounced or-on-jah-lo and ya-lah-jah-lo)
And the best one of all - Shithead (Again I'm not making this up - pronounced shi-th-ay-ed)
You know the first day of school has to suck for that kid.
I personally knew twin girls in kindergarten named Yolanda (yo-lon-da) and Yolanda (yo-lan-da). I couldn't make this up if I tried.

No comments: