Friday, June 03, 2005

In case you were wondering...

Here's a list of some things you may or may not know about your Other Brother Darrel.

First, my family:
-My mom and dad are like yin and yang. He's artistic, lazy, and introverted. She's outgoing, fun, and energetic.
-My folks split up when I was 14. It was difficult and all, but I just took my agressions out on the football field with me. It was a great way to vent.
-My dad has held several jobs. He was a: Gate Supervisor, Concrete Truck Driver, Oilfield hand, Ironworker, Glazier, and is currently an Aspiring Christian Musician. He has an old hippy mullet and a bad back. He eats lots of pain pills and plays guitars all day. My hero. He was recently remarried to a superb woman who takes excellent care of him.
-My mom had me at 17, worked two jobs and went to school while I was very young, got her college degree, went back and got her masters, had a second child 20 years after me, and is now a principal. When she sits down, she is constantly pumping her leg on the balls of her feet. She's been remarried for about 7 years now. My stepdad is great.

My mom and passed out little brother.

-My PawPaw (dad's side) worked at an oil company for 36 years. He retired in 1997. At 75 years old, he still waterskis every day. He can be very critical and stubborn, but I would not be where I am without him.

My PawPaw is completely out of his element here.

-My Granny (dad's side) has never held a regular wage-earning job in her life. She is the greatest cook ever, and doesn't use recipes. "A pinch of this and a little of that, cook it until it's done". She's also the most spiritual person I know. Prayer is a very powerful thing.

My Granny and my dad's wife.

-My PawPaw Bill (mom's side) worked as a draftsman for a steel company most of his life. He once wrote a memoir about his life. It was mostly about working. He's got Alzheimers now and barely remembers me. I have never heard him say a curse word, or anything bad about another person.
-My MeeMaw Dot (mom's side) died from lung cancer when I was 4 . She smoked a lot. Probably why I don't.


Now the important part, me:
-I have had a total of 37 stitches in my life. 37 is a good number. I don't need any more stitches.
-I was the salutatorian of my high school class.
-I once scored a basket for the other team in a JV basketball game because I was a stupid pothead.
-I lost my virginity at 14 and regret that it wasn't with someone special to me.
-I bite my fingernails.
-I procrastinate until the last minute, then bust my ass to get things done.
-I spend way too much money for what I make.
-I was in love twice. Both times it was me who walked away, only to realize when it was too late that I'd made a mistake.
-I have been to jail 4 times. Once for drinking and driving and three times for being in the wrong place at the wrong time (hanging with the wrong crowd).
-I am loyal to a fault. My friends are my friends no matter what they do or what anyone else thinks of them.
-I have said enough for now.

No comments: