Monday, March 14, 2005

Little Other Brother

Took my little brother to the Dallas Aquarium and Texas Natural History Museum yesterday. Good educational fun. It was my mom's idea. She's a teacher.
The aquarium was cool - sharks, eels, fish, and a huge loggerhead snapping turtle with moss growing on his back. He made me hold his hand and asked me what things were. I read the labels and told him, or made it up if there was no label. He's 5, I could tell him anything and he'd believe it.
The museum was sort of lame until we got to the dinsoaur exhibit. They have a huge T-Rex complete with scary noises and flashing lights. I guess it was a little too real because he got scared and screamed bloody murder until I hauled him down the stairs and out the door.
I fear he is living a much more sheltered life than I did. When my mom had me she was 17 and my dad was 21 (I was a surprise). We lived in a neighborhood full of heathen bastard children from various redneck families. I was exposed to much of the debauchery and sin of this world before entering kindergarten. There were football games, fights, bike rides, baseball games, fights, and the occasional BB gun war. It was, and still is, hard to make me cry. (Except at funerals. I almost always cry at funerals.)
My brother lives in a nice quiet neighborhood near a golf course. There are 2 kids his age - a brother and sister, but they are mild and timid. He has "playdates" and has to wear a helmet when riding his bike.
A helmet. I didn't even have brakes on my bike. I had to stop by either putting one foot in the front tire (very dangerous - I have a lumpy head because of this) or draggin both feet on the ground (this will ruin a pair of shoes very quickly).
But on the other hand, I didn't exactly turn out to be the most well-adjusted young man. I have my problems. Perhaps he will be a better person because of, not in spite of, his environment.

sorry guys, it's monday and I am rambling.

3 comments:

The Smoking Redhead said...

Ramble away, that was totally sweet.

I babysat my 5 year old nephew recently and the little bugger opened the back door of my apartment and then hid in the closet.
I thought he had escaped and was frantic until I found the little hellion.

Damn kids these days! ;)

PinkQuacker said...

Kids today live in a totally different world than we did when we were growing up. Perhaps it's more sheltered in some respects, less in others. What I think is great is how you have a relationship with your brother despite the huge age gap. That makes you a good person- maybe you will better each other.

Caroline said...

It's the made up things that he's gonna remember. It could come back to haunt you.