Monday, March 28, 2005

It IS a race

I play a game when driving on long trips. It's called "Make the Fastest Time Possible". I prepare for this game by drinking as little fluids as possible before departing.
I made it from the gas station in Kountze to my front door in Bedford in 4 hours and 15 minutes yesterday. That is a new record for the Saturn, but it fell about 5 minutes short of the record for my old truck (it was a Chevy with a 350). I even stopped to pee once (3 minutes). The trip usually takes about 4 1/2 to 5 hours, depending on traffic. I was flying yesterday. God bless my little radar detector.
My Paw-paw also likes to play this game with me, although the course is somewhat longer when we compete against each other. The trip from Kountze to Creede, Colorado should take a normal person about 20 hours. I've made it in 18 and my Paw-paw claims to have made it in 17 1/2.
He really gets focused when he's driving/racing. One time, he and my Granny were travelling to Colorado and making excellent time. While my Granny was asleep in the back, he pulled over for a quick pit stop. While he was in the bathroom, she got up to go herself. Paw-paw finished first and got back on the road, thinking she was still asleep in the back. He left Granny at a gas station in the middle of nowhere.
Eventually, a state trooper was radioed and informed of the situation. He caught up to my Paw-paw about an hour down the road and forced him to return to the gas station. To this day, my grandfather claims that he would've made it in 17 hours flat, if he didn't have to go back.

No comments: