Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Hybrid Sports Theory

We've hired 2 new employees for my department. They are both smart, unattractive, older women. Really unattractive. Much older. No eye candy for Darrel. One seems pretty normal. The other one, not so much...
She is odd, to say the least. Seems to know what she's doing, though.
So now I have to share my office with womenfolk.
No more farting out loud and laughing.
No more mid-day Pantera.
No more nose picking.
No more practicing the golf swing.

In other news, the Mavs won! We played a tripleheader last night, so I didn't actually get to watch the game. I did use my cell phone to check the score, though. Good job, Mavs.

While walking the dog last night, I stopped to watch some Mexicans playing soccer at the tennis court. There were about a dozen guys out there. No net or boundary lines. Just two white shirts tied to opposite ends of the court representing their goals. It was about 11:00 on a Monday night, 55 degrees.
It caused me to ponder this question - "Where would we be without sport?"
What would we do if the world's collective memory of any physical organized competition was suddenly erased?
If nobody knew about baseball, football, basketball, hockey, golf, etc., etc., what new games would we invent?
Would we even bother? Of course we would. It's only natural to compete.
But I wonder what sports would reappear relatively unchanged, and which would be radically different.
Would dodgeball and baseball combine so that hitting an opposing player on his way to a base was considered an out? (This is how we played growing up.)
Would golf require the presence of a goalie near the hole. (That'd sure make it more interesting to watch.)
All these thought ran through my head while watching the improvised soccer match. Then my dog took a poop and I went inside and slept.

No comments: