Thursday, December 29, 2005

Tough little bastard

I had to use a new vet when Mak got sick. We won't be going back.
I went to pick him up after work Tuesday and the vet was still very concerned.
He didn't know exactly what was wrong, but was very strongly leaning towards some kind of hemorraging in his gastro-intestinal tract. Well, no duh. He's shitting blood. You went to school for 8 years to tell me there's something wrong with his GI tract? Genius. Must be an Aggie.
He wanted me to take him to an emergency clinic for overnight treatment. So I asked what the overnight treatment was.
"They'll put an IV in, monitor him, and keep him off solid foods for a day or two," he says.
"Well, just leave the IV in and I can do the same thing at home," I says.
"But it just makes me nervous to know he's going home without us knowing exactly what's wrong with him."
"You just said you're pretty sure it's a GI tract problem. and the treatment for that is antibiotics, which you've already administered, an IV drip, and no food for a few days..."
"Yes."
"So leave the catheter in, give me the IV bag I just paid $60 for and let me take him home."
"But I'm worried about his mental state. He seems so depressed."
"He's a schnauzer and he's sick. That breed is super loyal and gets depressed when their owners aren't around. Bring him out to me and watch how much he perks up."

So maybe it didn't go exactly like that, but it was close. Mak came out and immediately started wagging his tail. Then I took him home and laid him down. I set up the IV and ran it all night. I set my alarm to go off every 2 hours so I could check on him.
No more vomit. No more bloody diarrhea.
He's fine. Thank the Lord.

No comments: