Friday, October 07, 2005

Fire it up

Softball has officially taken over my social life. Teammates have become my main source of social interaction. I've been introduced to a whole culture of softball junkies. They're drawing me in. I've played 9 games in the past week and had to turn down an offer to play more Saturday. My legs and my shoulder need a rest, however brief it may be. I've also got to mend some fences with relationships that've suffered from this most recent addiction.

My mood at work is generally determined now by the previous night's performance on the field.
0/4: stay out of my way. Do not make direct eye contact.
1/4: just leave me alone.
2/4: hey how's it going?
3/4: sure. no problem.
4/4: woo hoo it's great to be alive!

Speaking of ball, the Astros lost to the Braves last night. It was shaping up to be a great pitching duel - Clemens vs. Smoltz. But like Steve said, The Rocket doesn't really get warmed up until the second round or so. Stealing Game 1 in Atlanta gave the boys a good chance to wrap it up at home though, beginning with a crucial Saturday night game at Minute Maid with Oswalt starting.

I'm pretty stoked about this weekend. No softball tournaments, but LOTS of good football to watch and a bonfire.
That's right it's bonfire season again. The temperature outside is about 50 degrees and my 3rd baseman is having a housewarming party tonight. He lives out in the boonies (Midlothian), so we got a keg and some thermal underwear. It's on. I love sitting around a fire on a cold night.

Then I'll get up Saturday and go meet the rest of the crew to watch Texas finally beat OU in the Red River Shootout. The odds makers have Texas favored by 14, but I'm pretty skeptical about that. I'm saying Texas by 7 or less.
Then the Cowboys play the Eagles Sunday evening. Dallas really needs to get back on track. I think the running game has been the focus of opposing defenses this year, so the passing game should be our focus in the first half this week. Score early, score big, then set up the running game to shut down Philly in the second half.
And for crying out loud STOP T.O.!!! If that cocky bluegum showoff steps foot in any blue stars this weekend with a football in his hand... end him.
I think you know how to handle that, 31.

No comments: