Monday, October 17, 2005

A Clever Title

I made a trip home this weekend to see the folks and get a first-hand account of the damage. I was prepared to see some pretty awful things. It wasn't as bad as I'd feared.
There are tons of trees down and lots of damaged roofs. The main issue is property damage and the lack of assistance from FEMA and insurace agencies.
Monetary issues, really. Everyone I encountered had plenty to eat and enough bottled water to keep them hydrated for months. The majority of the area has electricity and a lot of schools have even reopened.
I knew everything was going to be alright when I heard they were playing high school football this weekend. To make up for lost time, the kids are playing 5 games in 2 weeks. That's got to be rough.
I ate my first MRE. Peas and pasta. Disgusting but not vomit-enducing.
My grandmother's house is still sans roofing except for a blue tarp that cost them $800 to get installed. 800 bucks to throw a tarp up and tack it down. Price gougers are the lowest form of life on the planet.
I spent the better part of Saturday with a chainsaw in my hand. We cut, hauled, and burned 3 trees at my mom's then watched the USC-Notre Dame game. Great game. Not the end result I wanted but still fun to watch.
Crockett Street (kind of like 6th street for Beaumont) reopened so we went down there Saturday night for my cousin's birthday. It was packed. Guess everyone needed to blow off some steam. I saw some old friends and tried to avoid talk of the hurricane. That was impossible. I crashed at my cousin's house and left in the morning before they were awake.
I met up with my dad's side of the family for dinner and the Cowboys game Sunday afternoon. We won ugly in OT. Then I drove home and did a lot of thinking.
I'm sort of at a crossroads right now. I have an interview scheduled for a great job in Beaumont next week. I'm not unhappy at my current job but I would really like a little more financial freedom.
I don't like the uncertainty of not knowing where I'll be in the next few months. If I get the job I'll definitely take it and move back home. It pays A LOT more than what I make now. If not, I'll stay here and continue schlepping away for my meager wages. But I'll be happy either way.

No comments: