Friday, September 09, 2005

She stinks like ass but I'll sure miss her

I'm going to the Jack Ingram concert tonight at BillyBob's. One of my old roommates from college, Catbone, is coming up with his wife. He's from my hometown and we've been hanging out together a long time.
The house that we lived in at SFA was the absolute worst place I have ever called home, The Green House.
It was an old dentist's office that had been converted into a 4-bedroom rent house. Rent for the entire place was $150 a month. It was puke green and falling apart.
It sat on about 3 acres of land which included an old rundown barn. Inside the barn was a sweet 1950's model pickup (Chevy, I think).
The appliances were all antiques but still in working order. There was a drinking fountain in the kitchen and gold shag carpet throughout the house.
The one bathroom had a hole in the floor next to the bathtub. No shower, just a tub. I loathe taking baths, by the way.
There was a possum who lived under the house. He would crawl through the hole at night and get into our garbage. That is, until he got capped in the ass.
The heater didn't work and the AC barely made a difference. We used lots of fans in the summer and propane heaters in the winter.
The greatest thing about The Green House was the hammock out front. It was suspended between a post on the porch and an old juniper tree. I'd sit outside on that hammock drinking Natural Light and watch the cars go by until sundown. Sometimes Catbone would break out his geetar and strum a few chords. We'd make up stupid songs or change the words to songs he knew.
We threw many a party at that old house. Being out in the middle of the country has it's advantages in that you can get away with pretty much anything.
There were many nights I'd pass out only to be awakened by Jim, Big A, or the Strat (more Kountze boys who lived there) firing off rounds with the shotgun.
After we all moved out, the place when to shit. Last time I stopped by some punks had gone through and broken all the windows and punched holes in the walls. I miss that old house sometimes.

No comments: