Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Makaveli Wayne

I have a male miniature schnauzer named Mak, short for Makaveli Wayne. He was a high school graduation gift from my step-mom, which means he'll be 7 in a few months. Me and Mak spent nearly every minute of the first 4 months of his life together. I was a recent high school grad with no job and lots of scholarship money to blow on beer. He was a fearless little pup with an amazing way with the ladies.
That was a great summer. We went to the creek, the lake, the beach, the golf course. Life was good. Then I went to college.
Mak stayed with my mom, since I was living in the dorms.

When I finally moved out of the dorms two years later, Mak came to live with me. I moved in to a house that will long be remembered in the hearts and minds of members of Gamma Pi as Club 200. This house was located along a street that included a bar, a liquor store, another bar (actually 3 bars in 1 building), Taco Bell and Long John Silvers.
My routine at the time typically included drinking in excess, smoking in excess and eating Taco Bell (not a big fan of LJS). Mak's routine typically included barking at the door, attacking my roommates (when provoked), begging for pizza, catching a contact high, and running away. He must have run away 30+ times in the 3 years I lived at 200, but he always found his way home.

Once, Mak was gone for 3 days and I almost gave up hope. I remember drinking at the bar next door on the 3rd day, and gettting pretty well lit. Needless to say I was depressed about my dog. When I walked home, I climbed onto the roof and yelled his name for about 20 minutes. I stayed a while longer and then went in and crashed. When I woke up in the morning, Mak was on the front porch couch fast asleep, dirty and stinking like fish.

He's a tough little fucker, too. One time when he ran off I found him 4 hours later. He was laying about 100 yards from my house and bleeding very badly. The vet said he must have been in a fight with a much bigger dog, because the optic nerve to his left eye had been severed by a bite to his head. There weren't any dogs that big living near us at the time, so I assume he must have gotten into the fight and found his way home with only one eye.

Mak is still with me. He doesn't run away anymore, though. Only because I now live in an apartment and it's practically impossible for him to get out. I take him for a walk every morning before work and right after I get home. It's a nice routine for us both.


1 comment:

The Smoking Redhead said...

Awww...I love Mak and don't even know the spunky little guy.
Mak's counterpart is Midget, a 5 lb Rat Terrier. Midget and I have been bestest buds for about 6 years. When I found her online she was at an animal shelter and had been picked up while running along the highway. I drove up to get her and she was all alone in a kennel surrounded by 8 or so BIG dogs all looking like they had met their snack.
She ran away once and was gone overnight. I am not kidding, I cried for 24 hours straight, worried sick over what might have happened. Some sweet little girl found her and brought her home, hoping to keep her I think. Fortunately they found the poster I had hung up and called.
Midget and I have a very similar routine, although this time of year she walks around with frozen feet which she hates.