Thursday, March 16, 2006

Gots to get mine

First, let me tell you about the crazy softball team we played last night. Now, the group of guys I play with on Wednesdays is your typical 20-something, college-educated crowd. Good athletes, nice cars, good teeth.
The team we played was "Get-R-Done". Seriously, that was the team name. And they said it (Get-R-Done) every time they got a hit. Luckily, they suck so I didn't have to hear it much.
These guys were all in their mid-30s to upper-40s, except for one big ol' bubba who was playing the outfield for some stupid reason. They all had nasty goatees.
We scored 14 runs in the first inning and they got 2 for the whole game. blowout is an understatement. I think it ended in a mercy rule after 3 innings at 19-2.
During the second inning, my friend Stark was tagging up from 3rd on a shallow fly ball. So Stark is running towards home plate at a pretty good clip when the catcher (a grey-haired old man) steps right into his path.
Stark does his best not to form tackle the guy, but ends up catching his shoulder anyway. The old man gives Stark a "what the fuck" and Stark says, "Don't stand in front of the fucking plate."
And that's about it, right? no big whoop.
until the end of the game when Cletus the Slack-jawed shortstop decides to call Stark out during the "good game" handshake lineup. There were a few "fuck you, buddy"s and a couple of "you guys got lucky this time"s thrown around. Thankfully, my guys didn't brawl or react too harshly.
However, the next time we play them there will be no mercy.

Secondly, I'm leaving on a jet plane for Kansas City tomorrow. A consulting company is going to interview me for a position with them at noon and fly me back in the evening. I really like the idea of taking this job because it's about twice the money and I would be able to work as a contractor in this same field. Which means I can stay in Fort Worth and move in with the New Guy (his name is Dwight) and Sparky. I will just be flying to job sites during the week.

Thirdly, another company in St. Louis is going to fly me out to meet with them in 2 weeks. They are an amazingly fast-growing company with great benefits. But it's in St. Louis and I really would like to stay in Texas. We'll see.

Finally, I almost (but don't) feel bad about continuing the job search. My current company gave me a pretty large financial increase to keep me here. The problem is that even though they upped my pay I'm still coming in at about 10k less than the national average.

No comments: