Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Back to Texas



Jessica is all moved in at 6230 Farrah Drive. We made the 16 HOUR drive this past Saturday dragging a U-Haul trailer that kept us from going over 70 mph the whole way. It was not fun.
But she's there now and I'm in Indiana for the last (work-related) time. Hopefully...
I'm really glad she made the move. It's the first time I've lived with a girlfriend.

I had a stone cold reality check the other morning when I woke up and looked under my sink... THERE WERE TAMPONS IN MY BATHROOM. Not just one or two, or even an empty wrapper in the trashcan. There was a big pink box staring up at me. That's when I knew it was for real.

So I said I wasn't getting another dog right away after Mak passed on. I had all these ideas that I wouldn't be able to replace the "Best Dog Ever". I didn't want to heal. I wanted to silently mourn him a good year or two.
But I couldn't just leave Jess at home all week completely alone... and I really missed having a dog around.
So we went to a couple of animal shelters Monday morning just to look around and see if anything caught our eye.

The first place didn't really have any dogs like she was looking for (small-to-medium, fun, housebroken). I was secretly only looking for one kind of dog -- old, blind, grumpy, and smelly. They just don't make them like that anymore.

The next place was just down the street and smaller so I didn't have high hopes. We walked in and asked if they had any smaller dogs.

The lady said, "We have some Chihuahuas" (I almost walked out right then.)
"... and a Schnauzer." (I peed a little bit.)

They opened the door and I saw him in his cage. I would've taken him right then but we decided to look around anyway. I didn't really even consider the other dogs, but they all deserved a chance right?

So we went back in and got him out to play with. Once Jess was sold on him I was so happy. Here he is -- Willie Mays Hayes.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.